Audi A9 In The Works?
If we were to believe our colleagues from CarMagazine.co.uk, the Ingolstadt-based automaker is working hard on a possible A9 model which should be out sometime in 2014. It will be a top-spec 4-seater coupe that will come with a bespoke exterior and an interior that promises to be better than the one in the current A8 flagship of the company.
The coupe will be manufactured at Audi’s plant in Neckarsulm where the R8 is also made. According to some sources that saw the initial design sketches of the A9, it promises to be a real eye-grabber. Also in the works is a soft-top version, which should be out in 2015, six months before Mercedes launches the next-gen CL Cabriolet.
The Audi A9 will get a price tag that will be higher than the BMW 6-Series but lower than the Mercedes CL, which means that it should cost about 75,000 pounds in today’s money.
Taking into consideration that these are just rumors, the following list of possible engines is only a speculation:
- V6 3.0-liter TFSI engine that produces 211 hp;
- V6 3.0-liter TFSI single turbo engine that generates 290 hp;
- V8 4.0-liter twin-turbo TFSI power unit with 420 hp;
- V8 4.0-liter twin-turbo TFSI engine for the S9 version that packs 520 hp;
- V6 3.0-liter TDI engine with 250 hp;
- V8 4.32-liter TDI power plant that produces 350 hp.
All these engines are rumored to be mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox and all of the A9 models will come as standard with Audi’s Quattro system. A hybrid variant is also under development.
Post tags: Tags: audi a9, rumors