Follow @rpmgo

Europe Car Rental

We all like to plan our holidays ahead and find the best bargains that come with the greatest adventure. Some of us prefer adventure rather than pamper. If you are one of those people and you are considering a drive around Europe for your next holiday I think you should gather a little bit of information about the car rental policy in Europe.

I took my task seriously and found out a few good to know information about Europe car rental. Like all over the world you can rent the car having a few options when it comes to payment: you either by day, either by week with mileage fees taken in consideration or not according to the rental company policy.

Next thing in line that you should take into consideration is insurance. Usually, when you rent a car the liability insurance is included, but for certainty you should ask before renting the car. Furthermore, you should know that even if fire and theft insurance might be covered it is very likely that collision damage might not be. In order not to have to stretch your holiday budget you should definitely consider getting a Collision Damage Waiver or CDW.

You can get your CDW from the following possible sources: rental agencies or credit car companies. When it comes to rental agencies they can offer you a CDW when you rent the car, but in some countries, like Italy, it’s very possible that you will have to buy the CDW. Its price it’s usually around 10 to 25 euro a day. It might seem expensive but at least it will save you the trouble, trust me. Also, in countries like Italy you should look into the matter of theft insurance as well (LDW), which is a must have in this particular country. In other countries it can be optional.

The credit card companies are another possible source, because they usually offer free collision insurance for people that rent a car and possess a Gold or Platinum card. This might seem as a great a solution, but I must warn you that some companies don’t extend the policy overseas and they might also limit you to renting a cheaper car. Moreover, it might be required for you to have a limit for your card that can cover the replacement of the car.

Another aspect you ought to think about when it comes to driving around in a foreign European country is driver license. In some countries your driver license is all you need, but in some Eastern European countries, like Hungary, you may also need an International Driving Permit. For some European car rental agencies that might be necessary. It can also prove useful when you have to deal with traffic police.

The IDP, how it’s called, doesn’t substitute your driver license but it’s an official document that proofs that your driver license is valid and it’s yours in more than 10 languages. That might proof handy in order to break the language barrier and can spare you of some possible unpleasant events. To get one you just need to find a government authorized organization, complete an application, photocopy your original driver license, bring two photos (passport size) and pay an insignificant fee.

That’s the most important information you need to know about Europe car rental and I was happy to share it with you. I hope you will find it as useful and enjoy the amazing scenery of Europe with no worries whatsoever.

Powered by Crowd Ignite