Questions To Ask When Buying A Used Car From Dealer
In our previous article we’ve talked about some of the questions that you should ask a private seller whenever you want to buy a used car. In this article, we are going to share ten questions that you might want to ask a used car dealer so that you will avoid getting scammed. Regardless of what questions you ask him, never buy a car without taking it for a test drive.
Here are the ten questions that you need to ask a used car dealer:
1. Can I look over the mechanic’s pre-certification inspection? – Ask this question if the vehicle that you want to buy has been certified. These vehicles go through an in depth inspection before they can be certified which is why you could ask the dealer if he is willing to show you the papers in order to find out what sort of repairs have been done. This document will come in hand later on when other problems will occur, that is if you decide to buy the car;
2. Who certified the car? – The single certification that is indeed relevant would have to be the manufacturer certified pre-owned car. The rest of the lot consists of insurance-backed programs and you’d better avoid them, needless to say why;
3. From who did you acquired the car? – You’ll have to ask about the maintenance records if the car was part of a trade-in. If the car was bought from an auction, you’ll have to verify that it has been thoroughly inspected, preferably by someone who is an expert in verifying used cars;
4. Can I get a CarFax report before buying the car? – If you are at a reputable dealership, they will give you one right away while other dealers will hand you a “customized” report or won’t give you one at all. When you have a look in this report, remember to verify if the VIN on the car matches the one in the paper;
5. For how long will I be allowed to test drive the vehicle? – Some dealers will let you take the car overnight so that you can test drive it extensively. You’ll have to write down that you won’t use the car for more than 100 miles and also prove that you have insurance and the gas level will be the same after the test drive is over;
6. What is the return policy? – While some dealers will start laughing when hearing this question, others will give you a brief period to rethink your purchase and give you something else of equal value. Don’t expect to get the money back as no dealer in the world will do that;
7. What is the cash price tag of the car? – Simply put, cash rules. Most of the dealers make a nice profit by convincing clients to take financing but if you have enough cash, you’ll get a better price tag. In most cases, the dealers are willing to shave off about 5% of the price if you pay in cash;
8. What can I get if I buy the car? – Check to see if the dealer will throw in a timing belt, a new set of tires or other similar equipment;
9. Do you accept trade-ins? – If you hate selling, your best bet would be to find a used car dealer that accepts trade-ins. We all know how frustrating it can be to sell a used car;
10. What sort of service did the car get after you bought it? – The answer you will get will allow you to find out a more accurate value of what you are about to purchase. If it went through a comprehensive overhaul, it means that for some time you won’t have to pay to fix or replace a component.
These would have to be the ten questions to ask when buying a used car from dealer in order to make sure that what you are about to purchase is a good investment. Take your time and do your homework as in most cases we are talking about a significant amount of money.
Post tags: Tags: automotive articles, buying from dealer, Featured, questions to ask when buying a used car from dealer