The famous designers at Italdesign Giugaro have revealed their two latest concepts for VW. Both the VW Tex and the VW Go! are small efficient cars that measure less than four meters and were born out of the design firms’ research into the potential future of the German automaker.
Let’s start with the Go! It is a tiny yet roomy MPV that has the same wheelbase as the Passat – 2700mm. The length of this car is 3990mm and is a Blue E-motion model that can travel for up to 149 miles (240 km) on electric mode. The car’s battery pack is split between the front and rear seating, leading to a 59/41 weight distribution. The company didn’t say anything about the battery and the electric motor of the car.
However, they’ve offered more information about the other car, the VW Tex, a vehicle that uses a Twin Drive hybrid plug-in built by VW. It has a conventional turbocharged 1.4-liter engine that works in tandem with an 85 kW (116 PS / 114 hp) electric motor. On electric mode, the car can travel for up to 35 km.
The combined power offers 295 lb.-ft (400 Nm) of torque and thanks to the 7-speed Direct Shift transmission, the VW Tex can sprint to 60 mph in about 6 seconds, onto a top speed of 137 mph (220 km/h).
In order to maximize the visibility and the passenger enjoyment, the car has many glass surfaces plus an A-pillar that was moved forward for the same purposes. For increasing the comfort of the cabin they’ve raised up the seats and thanks to the electronic tailgates, loading/unloading is easier to do. Italdesign Giugaro has also used LED lightning and xenon headlights for this model.
Source: Italdesign Giugiaro via WCF
Giugiaro Timeline iPad App
Italdesign Giugiaro is one of the most creative and prestigious Italian design studios, along with Pininfarina, Giovanni Michelotti, Ercole Spada, Bruno Sacco and Marcello Gandini. They have set esthetic landmarks and continue to do so. Of course, they couldn’t miss the new media era, so they’ve launched an iPad app called “Giugiaro Timeline”, which is already available in the AppStore.
This iPad app offers a “travel through the evolution of the Italian Design” and promises exclusive access to images and information about the entire Giugiaro production from 1968 until nowadays. This is honey to our ears.
Even though the announcement was made a few months ago, Volkswagen has now officially bought a majority stake in Italian design company Italdesign Giugiaro.
The German company now holds, through Lamborghini, a subsidiary of Audi, a 90.1 percent stake in the Italian company, with the remaining shares being held by the Giugiaro family.
Giorgetto Giugiaro, the founder of the Italian design and development house will remain as chairman, while his son, Fabrizio, will continue to act as vice president.
IDG has had a long time partnership with Volkswagen, with the company being responsible for the first generation Golf as well as models like the Passat Scirocco. As of yet though, it is unclear if the new ownership will allow the company to work with other automakers.
A short time ago, rumors were flying around concerning Volkswagen next major takeover, targeted at Italian design bureau Italdesign Giugiaro.
Now, the deal has officially gone through. Volkswagen now owns 90% of the Giugiaro design house while the remaining 10% is kept inside the Giugiaro family, currently represented by Giorgetto Giugiaro and his son, Fabrizio.
Italdesign, for those who don’t know, was one of the biggest privately-owned design and engineering houses in the world, with over 800 workers. That team will be solidified by other key members from Volkswagen’s own design department and future projects for the company include the Volkswagen Up! lineup.
Is this partnership for the best? Don’t be shy and make your voice heard in the comment section below.
Volkswagen, even though it said it will refrain from buying off any other car companies after striking its partnership with Suzuki, is close to engulf another entity, Italdesign Giugiaro.
For those not in the know, the Italian group is one of the biggest privately-owned design and engineering companies in the world. Since it was founded by Giorgetto Giugiaro in 1968, the company was responsible for a huge amount of popular models, including the recent Alfa Romeo 159 or the Brera, as well as first generation Scirocco or Golf models for Volkswagen.
Besides its design component, Italdesign Giugiaro also does engineering work for large carmakers. Most of its work is a trade secret, but the last acknowledge piece of engineering was on the second generation Mini models for BMW.
No official word has been revealed, but voices say a formal announcement will be made next week. The fate of the company isn’t set in stone, as it will be either absorbed into the VW group or will continue to do freelance work for other carmakers, while being controlled by the German company.