Several carmakers canceling Detroit appearance – rpmGo.com

The Detroit Motor Show, which will open its doors on January 11, is the United States largest motor show and is visited by houndreds of thousand visitors every year. However, it look like for some carmakers, having a stand here is not an option anymore, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Land Rover and Suzuki announcing they’ve withdrawn from the 2009 show.

“It’s a purely economic decision,” said Suzuki spokesman Jeff Holland, adding that “this is no reflection on the people of Detroit or on the city.” Suzuki, whose US sales declined 12% so far this year (around 100,000 units sold) decided to cut costs and give up on a Detroit show stand, instead, the Japanese carmaker said it will hold a small dinner for reporters before the show. The other carmakers also said money was the most important reason behind their decisions, especially with them not having any new cars to show.

So, after last week we told you about GM canceling any press events for the LA Auto Show, now this, it looks like the motor shows will suffer in the future, and carmakers that won’t having anything really important to show will probably decide to withdraw from motor show and spend their money elsewhere.

Source: LA Times

Post tags: Tags: detroit motor show, Ferrari, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, Suzuki